Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A Hard Habit to Break

I recently met up with ex-office mates of mine from a previous life. We went to a karaoke bar, and (they) belted out some songs. One of his favorites was a Chicago classic, A Hard Habit to Break.
He doesn't read blogs (hopefully), and even if he does, he'll know I'm referring to him (Idol!).
The title here is a tribute to his voice, and a good segue to my favorite pastime - trading.

Trading is habit forming. This is a sentence a newbie trader should know.

I get up early in the morning, to look at charts, read the papers, talk to my broker, maybe even have my breakfast. All because trading is habit forming.

I stay up late at night, watching CNBC trying to decipher what is happening in the US market and what effect it will have on our local market 5 hours later. All because trading is habit forming.

I write extensively, trying to manage two blogs about investments (and the stock market too!). All because trading is habit forming.

I read books on trading, on technical analysis, none (yet) on fundamental analysis, none (yet) on trading psychology. All because trading is habit forming.

I talk to my friends about the stock market. I suddenly become wide awake when the topic suddenly drifts to the stock market. I talk endlessly about how wonderful a place the stock market is (most of the times). All because trading is habit forming.

I watch the stock market using my Technistock program through bullish, bearish and sideways times. All because trading is habit forming.

But I must forewarn some of you though, as Chicago will also tell you about the stock market:

I guess I thought you'd be here forever
Another illusion I chose to create
You don't know what ya got until its gone
And I found out just a little too late

This phrase is for the people out there who don't cut their losses, who think the bull run will be in eternal continuance, who think that JOH is a good stock. Please be careful. And I say this, because yes, you guessed it. TRADING IS SO DAMN HABIT FORMING!

No comments: